Diabetics

The Diabetic Therapeutic Shoe Program

As a fully accredited facility with a Certified Pedorthist (C.Ped) on premises at all times, LICSPS is certified to partake in Medicare's Diabetic Therapeutic Shoe Program.

How Does the Therapeutic Shoe Program Work

If you are Diabetic with Medicare as your primary insurance, you are entitled to 1 pair of diabetic footwear each year.  This can be an over the counter or custom molded shoe.  The Diabetic customer also receives accommodative plastazote or custom inserts. Medicare absorbs 80% of the cost.  The remaining 20% is typically covered by your secondary insurance carrier.

Documentation required by Medicare

Medicare requires specific documentation before diabetic footwear and inserts can be dispensed as follows:

  • A prescription (Rx) - This can come from your podiatrist OR your medical doctor.  The Rx must state:                1 pair of diabetic footwear and 3 pairs of plastazote or custom inserts.
  • Diabetic Statement of Necessity - * This must be signed by your medical doctor only.*                      This statement cannot come from a podiatrist, physician's assistant or a nurse practitioner.  Your medical doctor acknowledges you you are diabetic and indicates the conditions specific to your feet.
  • Patient Notes -* The patient notes must come from your medical doctor only. *  They must be electronically or manually signed and dated by your medical doctor only.  The patient notes cannot come from a podiatrist, physician's assistant or a nurse practitioner.

LICSPS Owner Phil Celestino, is a Certified Pedorthist (C.Ped), who has been dispensing diabetic footwear 20+ years. His oversight of the Diabetic Therapeutic Shoe Program at LICSPS allows him to utilize his pedorthic and retail shoe knowledge and experience daily.   Phil commented that "each patient and their respective condition is different.  No two people are exactly alike so it is important to understand that there is no cookie cutter approach to what each patient needs."

Properly fitted footwear is the foundation for walking in comfort for everyone.  But the Diabetic foot can be prone to a variety of medical challenges which makes the correct footware essential. Some of these challenges can include: callouses, sores, neuropathy, open wounds.  LICSPS works closely with health care professionals to provide the correct comfort/orthopedic footwear.  That includes addressing necessary lifts or orthopedic alterations, providing orthotics and/or custom molded shoes.

Here are just a few examples of various diabetic footwear options:

P.W. Minor

   

                                      

Drew

                                    
 
Pedors

                                        

New Balance & Brooks